Fairfield man, 24, waives his right to a jury trial and will be convicted of murder and attempted murder in 2019 – The Vacaville Reporter

A 24-year-old Fairfield man, accused of fatally shooting one person and injuring another at a Fairfield gas station in 2019, waived his right to a jury trial on Monday and will be sentenced in the next weeks.

Souljah Devon Corbin, whose January jury trial was previously canceled, appeared in Department 15 for a new trial setting, but apparently pleaded instead.

But it is unclear, based on online court reports, what he pleaded and what sentence he will face when sentenced at 9 a.m. on April 26 in Judge Robert’s courtroom. Bowers in the justice building in Vallejo.

As of press time Tuesday, his attorney, Amy F. Morton de Vallejo, could not be reached after hours for comment on the latest developments in the case.

And earlier in the day, Solano County District Attorney’s Administrative Secretary Monica Martinez did not return a request to the reporter for information about the case.

During previous proceedings at Fairfield’s Department 9, Corbin also faced a charge of theft under special circumstances and a violation of probation, but at the time, Morton said a separate case of those charges from 2018 would be integrated into the murder and attempted murder cases. .

The Solano County District Attorney’s Office filed its complaint in the robbery case on November 27, 2018, and a complaint for murder and attempted murder on June 4, 2019. In addition to the main counts, another includes assault with a deadly weapon causing serious bodily harm. injury.

At sentencing, Corbin likely faces more than 50 years in prison for the felonies, all felonies.

During his June 2019 arraignment at the Justice Center in Fairfield, he pleaded not guilty to the charges and the case was later transferred to the Vallejo Courthouse.

In a brief interview with The Reporter after Corbin’s initial arraignment, Morton said she believed it was a matter of self-defense.

Court records indicate that just before midnight on June 2, officers responded to a report of people fighting and shots being fired at the ARCO station at the corner of North Texas Street and Alaska Avenue. Upon arrival, officers found two gunshot victims, one of whom was later pronounced dead. The other was taken to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries.

A local hospital then notified police of a third potential victim. A man with a non-life-threatening gunshot wound, later identified as Corbin, had apparently walked into a local emergency room. After confirming his alleged involvement in the shooting, the police arrested him.

The deceased victim has been identified as Lavell James, 30, of Fairfield, and the shooting was not a random act of violence, police investigators said.

Comments are closed.