Sonipat: A major fire breaks out in a chemical plant, the situation is now under control


A major fire broke out at a chemical plant in Kundli industrial estate in Sonipat district of Haryana on Sunday and more than 20 workers were evacuated and the situation brought under control, a senior official said.

Nearly 20 fire tenders were brought into service to put out the flames, which have now died down and the blaze should be fully contained late at night, Sonipat’s deputy commissioner told PTI by phone. , Lalit Siwach.



Firefighters from Kundli and nearby areas including Narela in Delhi, Rohtak in Haryana, Bahadurgarh, Sonipat, Samalkha and Panipat were called in to douse the flames, he said.

“The plant is related to the manufacture of peppermint oil and auxiliary chemicals, all of which are used in the manufacture of toothpaste,” he said.

Siwach said more than 20 people were working at the plant at the time of the incident, “but all were evacuated in time.”

Meanwhile, Sonipat District Administration faced the issue that a GAIL gas pipeline was passing nearby and high temperatures caused by burning chemicals could have led to an accident, but prompt action prevented any incident. unfortunate to happen.

“There is a Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL) pipeline, which passes close to the factory where the fire started. It is possible that in case of high temperatures, an incident may have occurred. We immediately called GAIL engineers and the fire department and the pipeline supply was shut down as a precaution,” Siwach said.

Earlier, a Kundli Police official, Sonipat, said around 50 fire tenders had been put into action to put out the flames, but the DC said many were kept on standby in case where the fire is believed to have spread to other units near the chemical plant.

There were clothing and other chemical factories located in the area, he pointed out.

Siwach said a strategy was adopted to not just focus on controlling the fire in the factory, but some firefighters were engaged in spraying water to keep the walls of adjacent units cool. and prevent the flames from spreading.

“If the fire had spread, it could have been a dire situation,” said Siwach, who had also served as a fire chief in the Chandigarh administration.

In the factory where the fire started, there were large explosions in the chemical drums and the flames were visible from a considerable distance.

The cause of the fire is not immediately known, although Siwach said: “Most likely it was caused by an electrical short.

(Only the title and image of this report may have been edited by Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear reader,

Business Standard has always endeavored to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that matter to you and that have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your constant encouragement and feedback on how to improve our offering has only strengthened our resolve and commitment to these ideals. Even in these challenging times stemming from Covid-19, we remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative opinions and incisive commentary on relevant topical issues.
However, we have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more so that we can continue to bring you more great content. Our subscription model has received an encouraging response from many of you who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of bringing you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practice the journalism we are committed to.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

digital editor

Comments are closed.